5.01.2007

Gypsies, Tramps, and Thieves

I am shocked. The music on the radio here is godawful. Why is it, when England has such an amazing musical history, can no rock n roll be found on the radio? I kid you not. The chat radio is really good. I'm loving BBC London. But every time I search for music, I am hit with either the worst example of bubblegum techno - so awful it should only be used in a Bratz Dolls commercial - or 1970s disco and easy listening. No rock. None. There are shitloads of mod asymmetrical haircuts and skinny jeans walking around. I see ipods in people's ears. Is the music scene so underground that it's not even on the radio? I'm tempted to ask the chick in my office with the pink tips in her otherwise jet black hair. Every time I walk by she's minimizing Myspace on her desktop. She should know, right?

I'm very disappointed. I thought I could listen to some cool London radio station and come back referencing the new it band. So far there's been hours of conversation regarding Barbara Streisand's outrageous 500 GBP (that's $1,000!) concert tickets that go on sale soon, Kate Moss's new fashion line, which premiered yesterday, and something about Take That. Take That?? C'mon.

I've given up scanning the dial. There is no music here. This morning I turned the car on and Cher was in full wail on Gypsies, Tramps, and Thieves and it was the best song I heard all week.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home