5.18.2008

Popcorn

We had a going away party before leaving Denver for Philly. Mainly the group of friends/coworkers that moved out to Denver together from Boston. It was a fun night, lots of good wine and good music. Toward the end of the night I got the (drunken) idea to pop popcorn, so I pulled out a large stewpot, dropped some olive oil in, poured a thin layer of popcorn kernels on top, and covered the pot. When it began to pop, one of the younger guests came over and asked, astonished, "What are you doing?"

"Making popcorn", I said. "Want some?"

"You can make popcorn on the stove?? In a pot??", he said. He was truly shocked.

"Uh, yeah.", I said, and I took him through the steps.

I could not believe it, but the few people in their early 20s had never, I mean never ever, popped popcorn outside of a microwave. Others had used a specific popcorn popper, but not on the stove. I don't know if popping microwave on the stove is "old timey" or just ghetto, but it tastes better and it's fun. Plus you don't die of popcorn lung.

My kitchen in Denver had a nice new microwave mounted over the stove, but I must say, I hardly ever used it. I had the same set up in Florida, too, so when I moved to Boston, I didn't have a microwave because I couldn't take it with me. I never bought one either and quickly found out I didn't really miss it. If I needed to heat something up I put it in the oven or on the stove. Other than some frozen entrees for work, I didn't buy anything that was specifically microwavable and I try not to purchase things in such bulk that I need to freeze them before I use them. I know this sounds very Bridget Jones of me, but the typical contents of my freezer are: ice, gin, and a few Lean Cuisines.

In any event, people, you don't need a microwave or even a popcorn popper to make popcorn; a pan with a lid will do just fine. Try it sometime.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home